Unable to get to sleep? Try using CBD for insomnia.
CBD oil is everywhere, but can it help you sleep better? These days, getting a full night’s rest is a luxury; more than 70 million Americans suffer from chronic sleep disorders. A great number of people with sleep disorders turn to prescription or over-the-counter medications to help them fall asleep. But, medications aren’t the only solution. If your sleep routine is in need of improvement, we’ve got the answer: CBD. Sure, some CBD products tend to smell great, but their benefits go far beyond that. Not only do CBD products help promote sleep, but they can also relieve anxiety, inflammation, high blood pressure, pain, and the stress of the day. With so many people suffering from sleep disorders, it’s easy to see why people are turning to natural supplements for sleep. So, how do you sleep better? And will CBD help? Fortunately, CBD can help promote healthy sleep without causing adverse side effects like medication does. Studies and anecdotal evidence support CBD’s value in promoting sleep.
What is CBD & How Can You Use it for Sleep?
About CBD Cannabidiol – commonly referred to as CBD – is one of the primary cannabinoids (compounds) in the cannabis plant. Cannabinoids interact with your body’s endocannabinoid system, a complex network of receptors that helps your body maintain homeostasis. Unlike the well-known tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), CBD is not psychoactive, so it won’t cause a “high.” Instead, it’s used as treatment for a variety of conditions and ailments, from epilepsy to PTSD to pain. Studies and anecdotal evidence suggest CBD can also help combat insomnia. This is important because sleep loss can cause serious health issues, including:
- The body is unable to strengthen the immune system and produce the cytokines it needs to fight infection. This leaves a person with increased risk of chronic illness, and can cause a person to take longer to recover from illness.
- Increased risk of respiratory diseases
- Weight gain caused by the release of insulin, leading to the body storing more fat and an increased risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Increased risk of cardiovascular disease
- Adversely affected hormone production.
In addition to drowsiness, grogginess, headaches, poor concentration, and slow reflexes, sleep loss can cause serious health problems. We’ve got you covered, though. Here’s how you can get better sleep with CBD.
Using CBD for Insomnia
There are several ways to consume CBD, including:
Typically, vaping and smoking CBD gets it into your system faster than other methods of consumption. However, this method may pose respiratory risks. Tinctures do not require any inhalation, and deliver the CBD to your bloodstream rather quickly. In fact, you can start to feel the effects within 15 – 30 minutes after taking it sublingually. Just put the preferred dosage under your tongue, hold for 60 seconds, and then swallow. Easy! Most of the research on CBD and sleep involved giving test subjects 20mg to 1,500mg of CBD per day. It’s recommended that you start with a low dose and gradually increase dosage until you find what works best for you, because the amount you use, and when, depends on a few factors. These include your weight, the cause of your insomnia, and the CBD product itself. While you may find yourself easily drifting off to dreamland for the first time in ages, it should be noted that some people don’t notice a consistent difference in their sleep patterns for a couple of weeks to a month.
CBD Golden Milk for Sleep
This tea helps reduce stress and anxiety, and enhances your sleep. Lemon balm is a common herb used for insomnia and, when combined with herbs like chamomile, offer even better sleep-inducing properties. Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cups light coconut milk (canned is best, but carton works too)
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger (see notes for fresh*)
- 1 whole cinnamon stick (or 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon // I prefer the stick!)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (see notes for oil-free)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- Sweetener of choice (i.e. maple syrup, coconut sugar, or stevia to taste)
- 20mg Rel Hemp CBD Tincture (1ml dropper from the 600mg bottle)
- to a small saucepan, add coconut milk, almond milk, ground turmeric, ground ginger, cinnamon stick, coconut oil, black pepper, and sweetener of choice (I usually add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup // amount as original recipe is written // adjust if altering batch size).
Whisk to combine and warm over medium heat. Heat until hot to the touch but not boiling – about 4 minutes – whisking frequently.
- Add a dropper of the CBD Tincture- 20mg or your preferred dose.
Turn off heat and taste to adjust flavor. Add more sweetener to taste or more turmeric or ginger for intense spice + flavor.
Talk to Your Doctor Before Taking CBD for Insomnia
It’s imperative that you talk to your doctor before starting any new medications or supplements, which includes CBD. Your physician will be the one who is best able to tell you how to use CBD for insomnia, based on your specific history and circumstances.
Want more information about CBD and its benefits? Read our post all about CBD.