Making your own CBD infused coconut oil is a very simple process that could save you hundreds of dollars!
Particularly if you use CBD products as a regular part of your daily life. I use this infused coconut oil for a variety of cooking recipes and for making body care products.
Gathering the materials needed
- 29 oz Coconut oil, organic preferably. *see below for sources of coconut and mct oils and deals
- 2oz Rel Hemp plenum dried flower for home extraction
- Cheese cloth for straining
- A fine mesh strainer
- A bowl large enough to hold the strained oil
- A baking sheet and parchment paper
- Crock pot or InstantPot
- Jars for storing your infused oil in.
Ok, let’s get started!
- First, pre-heat your oven to 225 degrees F.
- Chop your Rel Hemp plenum dried flower. You can use a knife, or a food processor. the idea is to expose more surface area to the oil
- Place your chopped flower onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and put into the 225 degree oven for an hour. This is the process that ACTIVATES your CBD flower and is called Decarboxilation, or “decarb-ing”. Without this process, CBD is not accessable by the body. Basically by heating the flower , the Acid that is attached to the CBD is removed. This makes it available for the body to absorb.
- While the flower is in the oven, empty out your jar of Coconut oil into the Instapot/crockpot and melt it into a liquid. Turn the control down to “low” or “slow cook” on the instapot.
- When the flower is done decarbi-ing, put it into the pot with the oil and let it infuse for at least 4 hours, up to 6.
- After 4-6 hours, strain the oil through the cheesecloth and fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Gather up the cheesecloth and squeeze the remaining oil out of the flower. You could use a potato ricer, or (as my sister suggested) a lemon squeezer to make this job easier.
- Finally, pour your oil into the jars you plan to keep them in. Seal them up with the lids and store in the fridge.
That’s it, Now you have a CBD coconut oil that you can use for cooking, or making a variety of body care products! I also like to use this oil to give to my dog to relieve his arthritis, and anxiety. As for the CBD content: I can’t guarantee what the CBD content would be from other flower. But I can tell you that with Rel Hemp’s plenum dried Lifter flower, the lab tests showed 12.5% mg CBD per gram of coconut oil from this recipe.